Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January 21st

Here are posts sent to me by e-mail… thanks for all the kind words... -Marla

(For those new to this site, it's set up so players, friends and family of Marion (Pete) Pierson can share the lessons they learned from Coach Pete and their stories and memories. What have you learned from Coach Pete, whether by word or example? Please let us know. To post, go to the comments section or e-mail me, mjpierson@yahoo.com. To view, check both postings and the comments section.)

I so loved Pete Pierson. He always approved of me and that has been something that I have carried throughout my life. I was never any good at sport’s but he never did tell me that. He always liked the fact that I was a singer and he would always make me feel good about my music. Thank you for allowing me to have just a little bit of Coach Pierson. He was everything to me and then a whole lots more. I won't ever forget him.
Forever & A Day
Gary F. Spencer, Sr.
Tuscaloosa, Ala.


Coach "Pete" a great friend to all he crossed paths with!My most memorable time with Coach "Pete" was in high school 67-69.Coach "Pete" was one of the leaders of the F.C.A.(Fellowship of Christian Athletes). Sixth period sports would start with required attendance in th F.C.A. meeting.One young man shared how Christ had changed his life after looking in "ALL" the wrong places.I accepted Christ in my heart as savior.Now I'm a winner with eternal life like Coach "Pete".I thank God for using Coach "Pete" in touching my life.When my time comes I will be looking for Coach "Pete" in heaven to thank him again.What a coach of life! Coach "Pete" we all love you as heaven is defined "Forever and Ever!"
In Christ, Bud Patton

Pete Pierson was a prince of a friend. I mean that in the most literal sense. I cannot say how blessed my life is because of his determined friendship and thoughtfulness through the years. I remember his visitation habits especially. On Monday night, he and Grady Friday visited religiously. I often tried to bust them up and tell Pete that I was going with Grady tonight. He never even faltered in his coach-like toughness and would always say, “Not a chance”. If he ever came before Grady, I would do the same to Grady who offered little or no encouragement that I would ever get to visit with Pete in this lifetime. They were always here, and if something prevented them from being here at 6:00 p.m., they would come early, get a name or two and go another time. He was a rare and wonderful servant.
Vial Fontenot

I played football, basketball and baseball at THS until an injury shortened my career. My brother Walter played basketball. Had not seen Coach Pete a long time, and in 2000 ...around Spring....I went to W.T.B.C. Radio station to pick up a gift I won, and Coach Pete was in glassed in 'Studio' with Jimmy Adams.....working on something, and he saw me...came flying out of the studio....bright smile....and made me feel great! He really was so gracious....very warm....and that meant so much to me!!!
My Sincere Condolences,
Dick Gary




Coach Pete Pierson was one of the first people I came to know and respect when I moved to Tuscaloosa in 1974. I was a soldier then, and the Army had sent me to The University of Alabama as Professor of Military Science. I had always been a Crimson Tide fan, and being assigned here was a dream come true. One of the first things I did was to name the Alabama Corps of Cadets the "Crimson Tide of the Army." The name alone helped us to become the largest Army ROTC program in the nation, and my Military Science Faculty, though not alumni of the University, came to love and support the Tide. We never missed a football or basketball game, and neither did the man named Marion "Pete" Pierson. He was always there, doing something for the Crimson Tide. He always had a certain look on his face that even in death I will always remember. It was the face of a man that, even if you didn't know him, you knew you could trust.
It didn't take me very long to learn that Pete Pierson was also a soldier -- a different kind of soldier. He was a soldier of the cross, and he carried that cross faithfully. For many years, he and his dear friend and brother-in-Christ, Grady Friday, spent their Monday nights visiting the homebound, the shut-ins, the sick, the lonely, and witnessing to the lost. Pete Pierson was a pillar of strength, a role model, molder of human character, a walking witness for Christ Jesus, and it is fitting that his name will be preserved in perpetuity through a scholarship endowed in his name. He will be missed by many, but there is a joy in knowing that Heaven awaits those of us who spend this life preparing ourselves to spend eternity with Christ Jesus. That's how Coach Pete Pierson spent his time down here. I'm glad I could call him my friend and brother-in- Christ.
In His Service,
Paul O'Mary



We are so sorry about dad and our friend Pete. He was a great person and always greeted you with a smile. He was so faithful to our Lord. We loved him…
Love and God bless,
George and Bessie Hamner

No comments:

Post a Comment