Thursday, January 22, 2009

Here are posts sent to me by e-mail on Jan. 22… Thanks for all the responses. -Marla

(For those new to this site, it's set up so players, friends and family of Marion (Pete) Pierson can share the lessons they learned from Coach Pete and their stories and memories. What have you learned from Coach Pete, whether by word or example? Please let us know. To post, click on the comments section or e-mail me, mjpierson@yahoo.com. To view, check both postings and the comments section.)



I would like to share with you my favorite moment when I played for Coach Pierson.

Tuscaloosa High B-team basketball 1973-74 season. Coach Pierson's practices were tough. Especially during the preseason. He loved to have us run the stairs. The ones located next to the entrance to the gym lobby.

We were small, but a very good team. We had only lost one game going into a mid season Friday night game at Selma High School. We played hard that night but the ball just would not drop for us. Coach was on us at halftime. He knew we were struggling. We lost. Post game locker room was brutal. Long bus ride back to Tuscaloosa. No talking allowed. Further, we were to be at the gym at 8:00 Saturday morning. He promised us that we were going to run until our tongues touched the floor.

We all gathered at the gym well before 8:00. We quietly shot 100 free throws each. Then Coach said, "Let's go to the stairs". His promise was about to be delivered. Horrified of the torture that surely awaited us, we made our way out of the gym into the lobby in front of the concession stand. Coach said, "stop right here". He then went into the door by the concession stand. Up came the sliding door and before us on the counter of the concession stand appeared a spread of chocolate milk, dough nuts, fruit, cake, and cookies. We were completely stunned. He said, "we lost last night but not because of a lack of effort. I was hard on you. You men always give it your best. I want you to know that I love you all". That was coaching young men at its best. We did not lose again including a rematch victory over Selma.
Thank you. May God Bless,
Jeff Flanagan Hixson, TN Black Bears 1976



We have truly lost a good, decent man in Coach Pierson. The lives he has touched in so many ways will be a testimony to his life as a Coach and a Man.
We all knew he was a deeply religious man by the way he lived his life. When I played for him over 40 years ago, I knew that he expected only my best everyday we stepped on the court. I also knew that I along with my teammates were getting his best. Even though he was a strict task master, we also could feel his genuine caring spirit he had toward us. The memories of those days at THS under the tutelage of Coach Tarleton and Coach Pierson will be carried with us throughout our lives.
The lessons we learned from both of them such as Character, Responsibility, Accountability, and Integrity, even though those words might not have been mentioned, have served us well for many years.
I know I am a better man for having known and played for Coach Pete Pierson. My thoughts and prayers go out to his entire family as they deal with their loss. Because of our faith, we can truly say that it has been good this time but it will be even better next time.
God has truly blessed us by allowing us to have Coach Pierson in our lives.
Ken Hogue
khogue1001@gmail.com


One day many years ago - more than 40 - Pete called me and wanted to know if I could go with him the next Saturday morning to help him with a little job. I told him sure and the next Saturday morning we went to a house out in the country somewhere between Tuscaloosa and Moundville. He did not tell me what we were to do until we were almost there but we were to repossess a T.V. and antenna that had been bought at Sokols where Mr. Snider was credit manager. Only the wife was at home and Pete told her what we were there for and she told him OK. We got the T.V. out and then went up on the top of the house to get the antenna. We got it all loose and were coming down when the husband come up in his truck and wanted to know what we were doing. Pete told him and he was not to upset but not too happy either. We got everything in the truck and I told Pete I would wait for him in the truck and he could go in the house and get the papers signed. I told Pete that we
should get hazardous pay for jobs like this.
Don Norton

No comments:

Post a Comment